Friday, February 13, 2015

Mission Peak Hike at 7 months

I started blogging so late in the game that I might as well work backwards to document the pregnancy. I have a feeling it'll read more like an impressionistic painting, as I've already forgotten some profound moments/thoughts I've had along the way... heh. Also, we are working on a time crunch here (currently at 37 weeks), so impressionistic snippets are going to work best for my current level of energy and time constraint (taking advantage of chris being at bball to blog from his laptop, which i prefer over my slow computer these days). 

At 7 months pregnant, I decided to take on the challenge of hiking mission peak in Fremont, CA. It would have been a challenging hike even when not pregnant, for someone not in the best shape like me, since it's pretty much a straight 3 miles uphill climb to the top and back (6 miles of moderate to strenuous trail)...

Sunset View from Mission Peak (Fremont, CA)
I wanted to do the hike during the second trimester, as a personal physical challenge. You see, in 2008, I had the amazing opportunity to hike half-dome in Yosemite with a group of friends. We made it all the way up the cables to the very top, where the scenery and beauty of Yosemite Valley rivaled only my deep sense of accomplishment. Although there were other hikers along the trail who were more in shape and seemingly having a breezy time of it, half-dome can be a difficult hike for amateurs. There were times along the way that I wanted to stop, especially after the initial climb up vernal falls (which I have affectionately since refer to as the black steps of death :P) which made me nauseous and faint (dehydration + food) so early on in our 12 hour hiking day that I wondered whether I had made a horrible mistake and whether I would prove to be a burden on our group if I could not continue... It, however, being so early on in our hiking trip, I had no choice but to continue... and that was the closest I came to giving up-- the rest of the hike was long (took us from sunrise to sunset to complete the 13 mile hike) and the switchbacks brutal at the end, but every step of the way brought me closer to the goal and having friends along the way and not having the option of quitting made me extremely proud of the mental and physical battle I fought to make it finally to the top. The jelly legs and soreness the next day were well worth the mountain top experience. What a rush! There's nothing quite like pushing beyond what you believe you are physically capable of-- it is as much of a physical as mental challenge, and all it takes is taking one step at a time. and not giving up.

This was the personal challenge I wanted to tackle during pregnancy because to me, labor and delivery seems very much like a physical and mental challenge-- and I wanted the satisfaction of having accomplished something similar during the pregnancy. Mission peak is an abridged version of half-dome, anyone can hike it, though it is physically challenging for those not in the best shape--it was the perfect candidate. Chris and I talked about doing the hike, and we originally thought the best time would be sometime during the second trimester, as things do get physically harder and harder as the pregnancy progresses... we tried once in the second trimester, but got rained out on the day we initially chose for the hike. Then we sort of forgot all about it... until New Year's Eve, when I was suddenly reminded of my desire to take on mission peak. What a tremendous way to begin the new year, the year of us becoming parents, i thought to myself.. except, well, by now, I am entering my third trimester and haven't really been regularly exercising (we'd still do our neighborhood walks, albeit less and less consistently :p) and both of us had doubts whether it is the best idea to do such a strenuous hike at this point in the pregnancy. I was nervous and a bit apprehensive, I suppose Chris had his doubts too, but I was also determined to at least try--- we finally decided to try only if the obgyn doesn't object (she did not, not really), then we would be smart about it (eg, stop if it gets to be too much for me).

We got up early and went on New Year's Day. well, a bizillion other people had the same idea... the trail head had a bathroom line 15 people long, and cars lined all the neighboring streets nearby in several directions. It would be a hike just to get to the trail head, and I definitely would need to use the bathroom before the hike. it would have been a circus-- disappointed, but in agreement, we turned and left the trail head. 

the following monday, we tried again... and this time, weather and people conditions cooperated! we were able to finally hike mission peak.  I was determined to get to the top, and each step brought me closer to my goal, and so surprisingly, I largely enjoyed the process. It wasn't easy physically, from the very beginning to the very end, it was s-l-o-w going. As expected, on the climb up, I had to frequently stop and take breaks to catch my breath and calm my heart. On the return trip, which I usually relish as easier, I had to be vigilant about keeping my balance. Going downhill demanded constant attention and effort to maintain my center of gravity, which was unexpected (something new because of my pregnant body), it took longer and was way more tiring than expected. Despite the physical fatigue and slow progress, the hike wasn't hard because I was renewed by the knowledge that I was getting to do what I wanted to do, I had my husband's support every step along the way, and that as long as I kept going, I would make it as long as I got to go at my own pace. The weather was cool, there were some cows to look at along the way, and the view got more and more amazing... there were times when I wasn't sure how far we've come and how far we've still got to go, every curve of the trail seem to bring us better views of the bay area yet no closer to the top, and later I would find out that chris did have some doubt along the way (unvoiced thankfully)--- oblivious to his doubts, i was determined and undeterred, and kept going. We made it. It took all day, but we made it. At 7 months pregnant, it is a small achievement to hike mission peak.
"Lots of new challenges for 2015... ready to take them on! (Phil 4:13)" - Facebook

If this challenge is anything analogous to labor and delivery, I hope it has taught me the courage to continue towards the goal by focusing just on doing one contraction at a time (step by step). By mentally being 'in the game' and having the confidence that it something I can do will help make the experience better... (i guess the difficulty is that labor will be a new experience, versus hiking which I know i can do, so there is some unknown b/c of the pain factor there; still, i can see how a determined positive attitude can make a world of difference)... and having the encouraging support of loved ones (friends for yosemite; chris for mission peak) -- it's not something chris can do for me, i have to climb and do the hard work myself... but having him along the way and knowing he's beside me every step of the way, that i'm not alone, helps a great deal. Lastly, that I can go at my own pace. more recently, I have some fears that hospital staff may have their own agenda and timeline for how labor should progress and would want to hurry things along (and suggest medical interventions which may or may not be helpful, well, helpful/convenient/better for them versus helpful/convenient/best for me :p). i'm not always confident i can advocate for myself in the face of medical professional/authority, but there is nothing so important as this and i hope that i can be assertive if need be. either way, there would have been no way i could have made the mission peak hike if i had to go at anybody else's pace but my own, and i hope when labor comes, i will be allowed to let my body lead the way.

"Couldn't have made it to the top without the support of this guy :) homestretch" - instagram
It was good to be reminded of our hike two months ago, especially as we near the end of the pregnancy. A reminder that I can be a tough little thing when the occasion calls for it. Wisdom is knowing when to be determined and when to ask for help :)


No comments:

Post a Comment